Eligibility for Athletics and Activities
Student-athletes who represent the Ceres Unified School District in any sport sanctioned by the California Interscholastic Federation, Ceres High School, or the Ceres High School ASB must comply with the eligibility rules of the Federation and CUSD. Students who participate in extracurricular activities approved by the principal, but which are not requirements of a course of study must meet the same eligibility requirements as student athletes.
An extracurricular activity is not a part of the regular school curriculum, is not graded, and does not offer credit. Examples of such activities shall include but are not limited to student government; public performances of music, dance, drama and speech events, law enforcement events and trips, spirit leaders; dances; junior/senior prom, club activities and field trips and competitions.
Eligibility standards include:
- A minimum of a "C" average (2.0 per quarter)
- No more than one (1) "F" in the certification period.
- No more than one (1) "Unsatisfactory" citizenship mark in the certification period.
- Incomplete grades (I) count as "F" for eligibility purposes.
- No outstanding school fines or debts.
- The new eligibility list becomes effective on the 2nd Wednesday after the end of each quarter or semester.
*Note: Honors courses offer one additional grade point for a grade of A, B, or C, but no additional point is given for a D or F grade.
The Governing Board also requires students in athletics or activities be satisfactorily progressing toward the District’s graduation requirements in order to participate. Satisfactory progress is hereby defined as the ability to graduate with one’s class within conventional time lines, i.e. eight consecutive semesters from freshman entrance, including summer sessions.
Students absent 20 days or more during a school year without a medical practitioner’s verification are attendance ineligible. Attendance ineligibility means that a student loses their right to participate in extracurricular activities, including:
- School Dances
- All Senior Activities including participation in the graduation ceremony
- Participation in athletics
- Participation in school club activities